Asian blepharoplasty, also known as Asian eyelid surgery or double eyelid surgery, is a popular procedure at my practice among patients who lack a well-defined crease in their upper eyelids.
In this blog post, I’ll discuss how Asian eyelid surgery is performed, what the recovery is like, and the results you can expect.
How Is Asian Eyelid Surgery Performed?
Asian eyelid surgery can be performed under local or general anesthesia and usually takes about an hour. Patients seeking the procedure should be at least 18 years old.
In my practice, I use either the incisional technique or the suture technique, depending on your needs and preferences:
- The incisional technique involves creating a small incision in the upper eyelid and repositioning the levator muscle tissue to the skin’s dermal layer. This is typically the best choice if excess skin and fat in the upper eyelids concern you.
- The suture technique involves placing 3 to 4 sutures to attach the skin of the upper eyelid to the muscle underneath.
Patients with excess skin or fat on the lower eyelids often choose to have it removed in combination with upper eyelid surgery to enhance and rejuvenate the overall appearance of the eyes. You can see some of my patients’ results in the photos below:
What Is the Recovery Like After Double Eyelid Surgery?
The recovery time after Asian eyelid surgery is usually between 5 to 10 days, and most patients experience minimal discomfort.
In the days following surgery, you should expect some swelling and bruising. This is normal and will typically resolve within 1 to 2 weeks. Applying ice packs to the area will help.
Following your surgery, it’s essential to follow your aftercare instructions. But you can do several things to aid your recovery:
- Avoid rubbing your eyes or putting pressure on them.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get sufficient sleep.
- Keep your head elevated when sleeping.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Avoid applying makeup until your doctor advises it’s OK.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible and wear dark sunglasses if you must go outdoors.
What Results Can I Expect From My Surgery?
Asian eyelid surgery can achieve the following results:
- Remove excess skin around the eyes for a fresher, more youthful look
- Reduce eye bags, dark circles, and puffiness under the eyes
- Make eyes look bigger and brighter
- Give the eyes more depth
- Widen the field of vision when sagging upper eyelid skin is hampering it
The results of double eyelid surgery can last for many years. The aging process will affect your results over time, so you may choose to have a revision surgery later.
The experience and training of your surgeon in double eyelid surgery will significantly affect how happy you are with the outcome. To see more examples of the results you can expect after eyelid surgery, please visit my before-and-after photo gallery.
Double eyelid surgery can achieve dramatic changes to the eye. If you’d like to meet with a triple board-certified plastic surgeon in San Francisco to discuss your options, call my office today at (415) 441-1888 or request a consultation using the online form.