Albert W. Chow, M.D.
1 Daniel Burnham Court #368c
San Francisco, CA 94109
Phone: (415) 441-1888
Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
At our San Francisco center, Dr. Albert Chow specializes in breast augmentation and customizes your procedure to your specific needs and goals. He has performed thousands of breast augmentation procedures, including specialized versions for patients of Asian descent, helping many women improve their self-confidence and achieve the attractive breast appearance they desire. If you would like to add balance and symmetry to your figure and think that enhanced breasts will help you feel more beautiful, feminine, and confident, Dr. Chow can help you achieve the look you want.
Before & After Photos
This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures worldwide. It enhances breast size and shape through the placement of breast implants. San Francisco triple board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Albert Chow personalizes each woman’s breast augmentation results by customizing implant selection, incision placement, and many other factors.
Why Is Breast Augmentation So Popular?
Women ages 18 and older choose breast augmentation for a variety of personal reasons, including wanting to:
- Increase the size of naturally small breasts
- Restore the breasts to the size they were before pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Balance differently sized breasts (asymmetry)
- Create proportion between the upper body and the lower
- Feel attractive in a variety of clothing styles
Dr. Chow provides the results you want, whether it’s a subtle change or a dramatic one.
What Happens at a Breast Augmentation Consultation?
During your in-depth consultation, Dr. Chow takes the time to fully understand your desires and expectations. Patients appreciate his approachable personality and are comfortable sharing their feelings openly with him. Dr. Chow will use this visit, which typically lasts at least an hour, to help you establish realistic expectations about the surgery, outcomes, recovery, and possible complications.
Dr. Chow can perform breast augmentation as an individual procedure or in conjunction with other procedures such as liposuction or a tummy tuck to achieve more dramatic results. If you have skin laxity or sagging, he may recommend combining your breast augmentation with a breast lift. During your consultation, he will discuss these and other options in more detail.
Dr. Albert Chow
Triple Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Albert Chow is one of the few Bay Area surgeons who is board certified in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and otolaryngology. In addition to his impressive credentials and decades of experience, Dr. Chow is a kind, approachable doctor who truly listens to his patients. He specializes in cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty and procedures for patients of Asian descent.
Credentials You Can Trust
What Are the Different Types of Breast Implants?
When you have your breast augmentation with Dr. Chow, you have the choice of silicone or saline breast implants. This decision is based on your aesthetic goals, body shape, age, and personal preferences. Both types are safe and each has its own advantages.
Recommended for women with minimal natural breast tissue, silicone implants look and feel more natural than those filled with saline. Silicone implants are less likely to ripple or to be visible through the skin. They are available for cosmetic use in women who are at least 22 and come in multiple shapes, sizes, and profiles. Options include:
- Cohesive silicone gel implants: Allergan Natrelle® and Mentor MemoryGel®
- Highly cohesive silicone gel implants (gummy bear implants): Sientra® and Mentor MemoryShape®
These implants are filled with sterile saltwater after they are placed in the breast pocket. This allows Dr. Chow to use slightly smaller incisions, which minimizes visible scarring. Patients can choose standard saline implants that are filled to a fixed volume or adjustable implants that may be fine-tuned post-operatively by adding or letting out saline. Saline implants are approved for cosmetic use in women 18 and older.
Your Procedure in 3dEnvision The Possibilities Before Surgery
During your breast enhancement consultation, get a glimpse of your aesthetic potential with Crisalix, the state-of-art 3D simulator that generates images of your possible results.Request My Consultation
What Other Options Are There for Breast Implants?
Dr. Chow will help you understand your options regarding breast implant size, shape, and surface to ensure your results match your expectations.
- Size: Implant size is one of the first decisions most breast augmentation patients think about. We will help you arrive at the size that is best suited to providing the results you desire by allowing you to try on implant sizers. You can place various sizes of these soft, silicone forms in your bra to see your possible results. Many women say this is their favorite part of the consult.
- Shape: Implant shapes can be round or anatomical (teardrop-shaped). Round breast implants offer a very full lift and move more naturally within the breast pocket. This implant shape is recommended for thinner women who are looking for the ultimate lift. In contrast, the teardrop breast implant has a slightly sloping contour and is more naturally shaped.
- Surface: Depending on your preference, the outside surface of implants can either be smooth or textured. Smooth implants have a thin shell, which makes them softer and more able to move around in the breast pocket. They generally last longer and have less rippling than textured implants. Designed to keep breasts properly aligned, especially with teardrop implants, textured breast implants are firmer and have a rough outer surface. With advanced knowledge of the latest breast implants, Dr. Chow can help you select smooth or textured based on your needs.
Which Incision Is Best for Breast Augmentation?
Incision placement depends on the type of implants you choose and your personal preferences. Options include:
- Under the breast in the breast crease (inframammary)
- Along the lower border of the areola (periareolar)
- Under the arm within the armpit (transaxillary)
The breast crease incision provides optimal results for most patients and types of implants.
What Is the Best Placement for Breast Implants?
Implant placement may either be beneath or above the pectoral muscles. Typically, sub-pectoral placement, which is beneath the chest muscles, provides the most natural-looking results because the upper edge of the implant is concealed by the chest muscle.
While these choices mainly come down to personal preference, Dr. Chow will explain the advantages and disadvantages of each one and how each choice may influence your results. Dr. Chow is skilled in several different state-of-the-art breast augmentation techniques and will recommend the one that is most appropriate for you.
How Is Breast Augmentation Performed?
Dr. Chow typically performs breast augmentation as an outpatient procedure with either general anesthesia or local anesthetic with IV sedation administered under the care of a board-certified anesthesiologist. During the surgery, he makes an incision through which he creates a space called the “pocket” for the breast implant. Because he has mastered the art of the subtle incision, he is able to achieve the desired enhancements with minimal visible scarring.
How Long Is Recovery After Breast Augmentation?
This procedure is extremely safe, provides immediate results, and involves a very tolerable recovery period. Most women are back to work or their usual routine within 5 to 7 days after breast augmentation. Dr. Chow will give you specific instructions regarding resuming exercise and more strenuous activities.
Apply now and get a decision in seconds!Apply Now
What Are the Benefits and Risks of Breast Augmentation?
Breast implant procedures can dramatically improve your appearance and enhance your self-image. Although complications are uncommon, you should follow Dr. Chow’s recommended precautions before undergoing a breast implant procedure and adhere to all post-surgical recovery guidelines to reduce the risk of complications. Committed to providing superior treatment and care, Dr. Chow will monitor you throughout your recovery.
To meet with Dr. Chow at his Bay Area practice in San Francisco and discover all of your options for breast augmentation, request a consultation using his online form or call (415) 441-1888 to schedule an appointment.