As they plan their eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), my San Francisco patients often feel some uncertainty about what that process will be like and how long it will take to feel completely back to normal. If you’re considering eyelid surgery, you likely have some of the same concerns. Understanding what to expect is a great way to put your mind at ease so you can focus on feeling excited and ready for your transformation.
In this blog post, I will share a general eyelid surgery recovery timeline, along with a few tips for making the recuperation process as quick and comfortable as possible.
Your Eyelid Surgery Recovery Timeline
Eyelid surgery recovery typically takes about 10 to 14 days. Here is what you can expect during the first 2 weeks following your surgery:
- Days 1 to 2: You will return home the day of your surgery to begin your recovery. Your eyes will be swollen and may feel dry, itchy, or tight. During this time, focus on getting plenty of rest and taking it easy. You may shower 24 hours after your surgery.
- Days 3 to 7: Keep your head elevated and gently apply gel ice packs to limit any swelling. Bruising typically peaks during these days. Make sure to blink regularly to keep your eyes hydrated and avoid straining your eyes with too much reading or screen time.
- Day 8: At this time, you may return to wearing contact lenses and makeup.
- Days 10 to 14: Most bruising and swelling typically subsides around week 2. You may return to work and gradually resume heavier exercise as you feel up to it.
This timeline may vary depending on how quickly your body heals and whether your surgery included any other procedures, such as a brow lift. Learn more about other eye rejuvenation procedures that are especially popular in the era of mask-wearing in this previous blog post.
5 Tips for a Speedy Eyelid Surgery Recovery
While it is essential you allow your body all the time it needs to heal, following these tips may help speed your timeline along so you can get back to your usual activities as quickly as possible:
- Follow all recovery instructions closely: Your surgical team will give you detailed information about caring for your eyes, applying eye drops, and so on.
- Get plenty of sleep: Sleep allows your body to rest and restore itself. Try to get 8 hours each night.
- Do not rush back into exercise: Pushing your body too far too fast may cause injuries and put excessive strain on your body.
- Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet: Give your body all the nutrients and hydration it needs to heal quickly.
- Protect your eyes from the sun: Stay indoors as much as possible during the first week of recovery. If you do step outside, protect your eyes with dark sunglasses.
To see examples of the results you can expect after eyelid surgery, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to meet with a triple board-certified plastic surgeon in San Francisco to discuss what is possible for you, please contact us online or call (415) 441-1888.